First off, Happy New Year! I've got some cool things in store for 2009, and I'm excited it's finally here. First off is a new feature that is partly a continuation of my campaign to get people to buy books (I'm sure everyone was awesome and bought books over the holidays, but alas, holiday sales won't help the publishing industry as much as we'd like). Each week, I'll feature a Book to Buy. Books to Buy (I'm shortening it the kinda lame acronym B2B because I am lazy) will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- Content--generally a very enjoyable, unique book, because I'm not going to be mean and reccomend you spend your hard earned money on a book that I don't think will be worth your time.
- Potential--these reads are definitely ones that have rereading potential, and will be ones that will be getting buzz, which means you might want to lend them to a friend.
- $$$--Cause, let's face it: Most here are teens, which means little to no income, and you don't want to waste what little money you have on a book that you'll read once and never crack open again.
- Looks--Because, really, who doesn't judge a book by its cover at least a tiny bit? These picks should at least be pleasing to the eye and should be able to get you excited about the book without having read the summary.
- Buzz--are people talking about this book? If the author is known for putting out really good books, a certain amount of trust is already instilled and you know that you can expect a good book.
These picks should hopefully help guide and advise you tight-budgeted teens so you can discern a keeper worthy of a place in your personal library from a book that is maybe better off being picked up at the library.
And here's the coolest (in my opinion) part of this feature: if you decide to buy one of the four books featured each month in B2B and email me a picture of the book with the receipt (or forward me an online order confirmation), I'll enter you in a special contest to win another book. So, it's pretty much a win-win situation: buy a book, win a book.January's prize is a copy of Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott, and this weekend's Book to Buy is another one of Scott's books, Bloom (Simon Pulse, paperback, $8.99). Click here to read a review. Now, I have to admit, Elizabeth Scott is pretty amazing. Since her debut in 2007 with Bloom, she's published three more books for young adults, with an additional two set to come out this year. She's gotten rave reviews from authors and readers alike, and she proved with Living Dead Girl that she's bold and unafraid to go where few YA writers venture.
So if you happen to buy a copy of Bloom, take a picture of the book and receipt (you don't have to be in the picture!) and send it to email@example.com with B2B in the subject heading. Also be sure to check back every weekend for a new featured book (and if you happen to buy more than one of them, all the more entries for you!).
Have a wonderful weekend!
January's Books to Buy (but any of these for a chance to win!)
The Elite by Jennifer Banash
In Too Deep by Jennifer Banash
The Book Thief by Jennifer Banash
The Center of the Universe (Yep, That Would Be Me) by Anita Liberty